Dogs and chocolate!
At Christmas there is always lots of chocolate around the house, whether in stockings or on the tree.
Unfortunately chocolate can be very toxic to our dogs and cats!
It is the theobromine in chocolate that is particularly poisonous. In high enough doses it can act as a neurotoxin.
The clinical signs of chocolate toxicity depend on dose, and range from mild gastro-intestinal upset (vomiting; diarrhoea) through to neurological signs such as tremors and seizures.
As a general rule of thumb, the more dark and bitter the chocolate, the more toxic it is for our pets.
If you suspect your dog has eaten some chocolate, give us a call straight away so we can take action to prevent any toxic effects.